Fitness Model/Athlete Karen Gallagher

Where does your motivation come from?

My motivation comes from my drive to inspire others as well as my passion for fitness and to push myself to succeed beyond my limits!  I love to hear from people how I have positively changed their lives and how I have inspired them through either my teaching or from my accomplishments. To me, this the absolute best – a very powerful motivator!  It makes me happy to inspire others and to continue doing what I love.

What workout routine has worked best for you?

As a long time athlete, I need to mix it up. I need to challenge my body and variety is the most effective and important for results!  I love to train like an athlete so I incorporate heavy weights 5 days of the week where I target each body group at least once.  As for cardio, I absolutely love to run so I incorporate a lot of outdoor sprints, hill intervals and stair running. I have always done higher intensity cardio as I feel it delivers the best results!
I also incorporate a lot of boxing, plyometrics and functional sport specific training into my routine.  Guaranteed… I’m never bored and I get amazing results!

If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?

My top 3 exercises would be sprinting, boxing and lunges!  Both sprinting and lunges have to be my all time favorites for shaping and leaning the legs and the gluts, by far the best exercises you can do for sexy legs!  Boxing is also one of my favorites for overall upper body strength.  It is one of the only sports that can completely challenge the entire upper body. I have seen a dramatic change in my upper body strength, muscularity and definition since I incorporated boxing and related functional exercises.  I have so much respect for boxers and their athleticism!


Arnold Classic 2010


They say that the pre and post-workout meals are the most vital meals for the day, what do yours consist of?

I believe that every meal is important!  As an athlete it is crucial to eat on a regular basis in order to build, repair and maintain muscle tissue. I prefer to eat clean food rather than supplementing with artificial foods or drinks.  My pre workout meal is typically chicken, veggies and a low glycemic carbohydrate such as sweet potato for extra energy.  My post meal will consist of protein and more simple carbohydrates such as fruit.  I  keep this meal light then within 1-2 hours after my workout, I typically have fish, veggies and some form of healthy fat such as nuts or olive oil.

When trying to cut down do you prefer to use HIIT or just normal cardio?

HIIT all the way!  In my opinion, there is no other way to maintain lean muscle tissue and to create sexy athletic curves all while shedding fat quickly!  I also love to run long distance so I will also incorporate a long slow distance a few times a week for variety.

What is your supplementation like?

I feel that good quality supplements are a must for any athlete or person looking to improve their quality of health especially when there is higher demand of stress on the body whether it is from exercise, emotional stress or environmental stresses.  I have been using ALLMAX for years and love their products, especially their protein powders!  I also supplement my clean eating with Douglas Laboratories products such as; multi-vitamins, fish oils, vitamin C,  calcium, CLA and vitamin D.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...